Thursday 20 October 2011

My interview with Nam Nha Tho- Learn the basics

                         


Nam Nha Tho- Cathay Pacific Championships Slideshow: Tennismania’s trip from Accra, Ghana to Vietnam was created by TripAdvisor. See another Vietnam slideshow. Create a free slideshow with music from your travel photos.

If you’re a beginner looking for inspiration and a way to boost your tennis, this interview will certainly provide you with the key elements you require to get as good as you can be.
Here’s an interview granted by Nam Nha Tho, a promising contestant at the Cathay Pacific nationwide tournament that took place in Vietnam. He has played in quite a number of minor competitions over the past 3 years and hopes to continue playing in more tournaments in the future. He is a friend but most importantly, a good example of a knowledgeable tennis player willing to share his experiences with other upcoming tennis players. I believe you’ll enjoy the insights he shares with us today as you read along.

Q;  How long have you been playing tennis?

A; I've been playing for only 3 years, starting at the age of 12. My first tournament was the one I played last year and also the one in which I recorded my best performance that was, coming 6th citywide.


Q; What have been your major challenges during these three years of tennis?

A;   I’ve had many challenges. Arranging time for both school and tennis is perhaps the one of the most challenging things so far. Once you've been able to arrange time for these on your schedule, you also need to recover quickly from your training sessions fast enough to prepare for school. So for people who start playing tennis very early and want to take it up seriously, it is advisable to home school so that they can concentrate on their tennis.
There's another challenging issue which is the challenge of finding a good partner. Of course, when you're in the city team already, you have many players to play with, but if you're non-professional, it's usually hard to find a good partner to train with you.

Q; So do you have an official coach then?

A; Generally speaking, yes. As I earlier on said, I'm non-professional so I hire a coach who trains many other players, amateurs as well. He used to be a pro tennis player himself, so he understands my game. He and I combine all the drills we know into our training, but during the school year I don't practice with him regularly. We practice just about 1 or 2 hours a week only. I spend the rest of the time playing with friends.

Q; Do your friends also play in competitive tournaments with you?
What have been your best moments in the game so far?
And what keeps you motivated to play further?

A; Yes actually, there are 3 friends, including 2 junior pros, whom I play in tournaments. Besides this, I don't play with them a lot. My other friends are older, some are even adults, but I improve my game by just playing matches.
To your second question, the best moment of the game is of course, winning matches. My first competitive match ever was a win, and the feeling was ever-lasting with my fighting to come back after a rain delay.
Both wins and defeats keep you motivated. Obvious improvements in mental and technique encourage you too. Most of all, you need to have a passion. Enjoy the sport and you'll keep the fire burning.

Q; So which kind of drills do you perform with your coach to improve your mental techniques for these tournaments?

A; I read many articles on this so I know a lot. Mostly, I do drills which improve my techniques. About mental training, I'd suggest playing matches, or making practice as real as possible. Playing matches don't help you improve you weaknesses much, so playing points would be more advisable if you want to improve both techniques and mentality at a same time. Play as many tournaments as you can also.

Q;So what would you have to say to beginner tennis players out there who want to improve their play

A; Most importantly, find yourself a good partner. Practicing with coaches can be helpful, but a partner who plays better than you will help you improve a lot. Play matches with him/her, and soon you'll find yourself fit for faster paced matches.
At that stage, reduce the number of matches you play, but, practice more to consolidate and improve your play. However, even Federer is ranked no 3 now. At all events, find yourself a better partner, as you can always improve no matter how good you are already.

Nam Nha Tho at the Cathay Pacific tournament
Q; How would you describe your style of play?
    Who is your favorite player and what should we expect to see from Nam Nha Tho in the next few years?

A; I'm a rather offensive player as I take after my idol Federer. I watch him play a lot so I try to be dominant like him on court, and that normally works.
I'm training hard every day for all tournaments down the road. I'm getting into the school team and hope to play tournaments for students only, avoiding all the junior professional tournaments. I know by myself that I started tennis rather late, so the chances of being a good pro are quite small, but if any chances come, I will welcome it!

Thanks very much for having this interview. It's been a pleasure having you and we hope your words encourage other players in their quests.

Sure thanks I had a great time. It'd be lovely to talk to you again in the near future!
         
              For tips on how to achieve some of the successes achieved by Nam Nha Tho you can view my article Amazing: 4 simple steps to help you start playing tennis

No comments:

Post a Comment